Thursday, September 18, 2008

Intro

To the reader:
My current ongoing projects include a knit vest, headkerchief, two cable throw blankets, and Slippy the frog's terrarium. I very recently finished a messenger style backpack. It is actually a convertible messgenger style/backpack style backpack, but the strap pulls threateningly when there are lots of books in it. On the other hand, I walk to school and I already have a reason not to bring so many books to school. As an explanation for this and the terse language to which I refer in my "Blog Title" I offer my major in biology and minor in chemistry. It's fun, but it's really just an easy way of not being a biochemistry major, or a cell and molecular biology major. Of course if I did either of those, I wouldn't have a minor any more. And I'd have to take more math and physics.

All of the knitting projects in which I am partaking are either straight out of or the interpretation of books from the Tacoma Public Library System. I encourage everybody to take advantage of any resources available to them through their local library systems, and to promptly pay the many fines you will accrue by checking out forty or fifty books at different points throughout the month.

What I had in my hands before constructing a blog, and what I will return to after this is posted, is the knitted vest. It's a variation of the "Juliet Vest" from Get Hooked Again, by Kim Werker. I modified the pattern, which was originally crocheted, so that I could knit it instead. It didn't make much sense to me, actually, since the diagram suggested it should be 16" at the waist.

In addition to the conversion to knitting, I added shaping at the waist. I have no promises as to how this will turn out, as I used more math than theory of knitwear design or creativity to devise my increases and decreases. There is a band of seed stitch 6" around the middle, with front lace-up closure. The straps are very wide apart in the front and normal in the back. I say all of this as though I'm in the final stages of construction, but really I've just made a lot of decisions in my "statistics" or "genetics" notebook. I've only just finished half of the front. Oh, and it's black.

No comments:

Post a Comment